Re: Can I get some PostgreSQL developer feedback on these five general issues I have with PostgreSQL and its ecosystem?

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Can I get some PostgreSQL developer feedback on these five general issues I have with PostgreSQL and its ecosystem?
Дата
Ответ на Re: Can I get some PostgreSQL developer feedback on these five general issues I have with PostgreSQL and its ecosystem?  (Thomas Kellerer <shammat@gmx.net>)
Ответы Re: Can I get some PostgreSQL developer feedback on these five general issues I have with PostgreSQL and its ecosystem?  (Thomas Kellerer <shammat@gmx.net>)
Список pgsql-general
On 9/25/20 1:04 AM, Thomas Kellerer wrote:

>> The fact that there are a lot of sloppy, US-centric people who refuse
>> to use correctly named identifiers and cannot understand how there
>> can be anything besides a-z in an alphabet, doesn't change reality
>> and doesn't make a bug "right".
>
> I am not in the USA (and far from being US-centric as well) and I have
> been working
> with relational databases for over thirty years. I never had problems
> using unquoted
> ASCII names (using snake_case) for my database objects.
>
> Would it be nice if I could use special characters like öäü in the names
> of tables and columns (without the hassle of quoting them)?
> Yes, absolutely.

But you can use them without quoting:

select version();
                                       version

  PostgreSQL 12.3 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (SUSE Linux)
7.5.0, 64-bit

create table öäü (id int , fld_1 varchar);

insert into öäü values (1, 'test');

select * from öäü;
  id | fld_1
   1 | test