Re: Standby is not removing restored WAL segments

От Jerry Sievers
Тема Re: Standby is not removing restored WAL segments
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Alexey Klyukin <alexk@hintbits.com> writes:

> On Mon, Sep 8, 2014 at 3:52 AM, bricklen <bricklen@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Fri, Sep 5, 2014 at 12:33 AM, Alexey Klyukin <alexk@hintbits.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> We've got a 9.3.5 DB running in a standby mode for a fairly large DB
>>> (500GB) with a busy WAL traffic (couple of GBs per hour) and it
>>> occasionally 'forgets' to remove the segments it restored.
>>

>> A complete shot in the dark, but do you take backups from that server, and
>> if so, does the backup script "pause" replication via
>> "pg_xlog_replay_pause()"? If so, "select pg_is_xlog_replay_paused();" should
>> return true, and executing "select pg_xlog_replay_resume()" will un-pause
>> replication.
>

>> Again, that's only a WAG.
>>

> Thanks. we do take DB backups from this server, but not from this
> cluster on it, so it's not a backup interference.

Or...  Are your backups being taken using rsync or any non-pg_basebackup
method *and* you are copying unnecessary WALs to the target new standby
server, which then lay around forever as artifacts of not having been
omitted initially?

--
Jerry Sievers
Postgres DBA/Development Consulting