Re: Difference in the size of database size and relations

От Jerry Sievers
Тема Re: Difference in the size of database size and relations
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Luis <luisico@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have noticed a weird thing in different databases.
> When I run pg_database_size on some databases they report a pretty
> high value and if I take a look to all relations the sum of all of
> them is not even the half of the one reported by pg_database_size.
>
> Although I've seen this in different databases, this is a specific example.
>

> This are the sizes reported by this query:
>
> SELECT pg_size_pretty(pg_relation_size(C.oid)) AS "size"
>   FROM pg_class C
>   LEFT JOIN pg_namespace N ON (N.oid = C.relnamespace)
>   WHERE nspname NOT IN ('pg_catalog', 'information_schema')
>   ORDER BY pg_relation_size(C.oid) DESC
>   LIMIT 20;

Try just comparing what pg_database_size() tells you vs a sum() over
relpages*8192 (assuming standard page size).  You may have to do some
casting to bigint depending how large your DB is.

--
Jerry Sievers
Postgres DBA/Development Consulting