Re: pg_restore new parameter request

От Jerry Sievers
Тема Re: pg_restore new parameter request
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

> On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 7:37 AM, Campbell, Lance <lance@illinois.edu> wrote:
>
>     Without the indexes the production system would run slower until they were applied but at least I would be up and
running.

> ​At least until excessive sequential scanning overloads the I/O subsystem and you max out your processes,
connectionsand/or timeouts...

> I'd be curious to know if you've ever tried dropping all of your indexes and running your systems under somewhat
realisticload levels.

Agreed.  Unless the OPs app/DB are either tiny and utterly trivial or
the app that they're in a hurry to get online again is something that
just inserts data, then the notion of omitting all indexes is rather
far-fetched and I bet not too generally useful.

I can certainly imagine a scenario where  there are very large tables
which have some indexes created just to support reporting/analytics
workloads which perhaps could be deferred in building till after most
other application aspects are running.

In such a case, then you'd want just to omit and/or reorder building
those after everything else.

FWIW

--
Jerry Sievers