Re: PG minor version in data directory?

От Justin Clift
Тема Re: PG minor version in data directory?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2023-08-19 19:14, Peter J. Holzer wrote:
> On 2023-08-19 14:22:25 +1000, Justin Clift wrote:
<snip>
>> Thanks, that's what I figured.  I'll have to keep state in a
>> PG_VERSION_MINOR
>> there or something. :)
>
> Wouldn't it be better to ask whatever system you use to install the
> software for the version?

In the general sense, yes. :)

For the very specific use case I'm working with (!), things are a bit
different.  It's for this, if that helps with context:

   * https://github.com/pgautoupgrade/docker-pgautoupgrade
   * https://hub.docker.com/r/pgautoupgrade/pgautoupgrade  <-- docker
repo

It's a docker container that people use for running PostgreSQL, but
also has the ability to (automatically) upgrade the data files from
older versions.  That's the piece I'm working on.

Such a thing is useful for people that need a PG docker container,
and whose needs are fairly simple.  They can use point at this one,
and they'll have a self-upgrading PG version that's fairly "fire and
forget".

Thus far (1 month in), it seems to work ok (for us) and some other
people.

Am obviously looking to improve its capabilities over time too. :)

+ Justin