Re: PG minor version in data directory?

От Peter J. Holzer
Тема Re: PG minor version in data directory?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2023-08-19 14:22:25 +1000, Justin Clift wrote:
> On 2023-08-19 14:10, David G. Johnston wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 18, 2023 at 6:36 PM Justin Clift <justin@postgresql.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > If the minor version is already tracked somewhere as well, that
> > > would be extremely useful for my use case.
> > >

> > The data directory doesn't have a concept of "minor version".  Only the
> > installed libraries and binaries do.
>
> Thanks, that's what I figured.  I'll have to keep state in a
> PG_VERSION_MINOR
> there or something. :)

Wouldn't it be better to ask whatever system you use to install the
software for the version?

E.g. on Debian derived Linuux distributions:

% dpkg -l postgresql-14
||/ Name           Version               Architecture Description
+++-==============-=====================-============-=========================================================
ii  postgresql-14  14.9-0ubuntu0.22.04.1 amd64        The World's Most Advanced Open Source Relational Database

or

% apt policy postgresql-14
postgresql-14:
  Installed: 14.9-0ubuntu0.22.04.1
  Candidate: 14.9-0ubuntu0.22.04.1
  Version table:
 *** 14.9-0ubuntu0.22.04.1 500
        500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-security/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy-updates/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
     14.2-1ubuntu1 500
        500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu jammy/main amd64 Packages

If you compile the software yourself, you could always ask postgres:

% /usr/lib/postgresql/14/bin/postgres --version
postgres (PostgreSQL) 14.9 (Ubuntu 14.9-0ubuntu0.22.04.1)

        hp

Вложения