Re: High I/O writes activity on disks causing images on browser to lag and not load

От Jennifer Trey
Тема Re: High I/O writes activity on disks causing images on browser to lag and not load
Дата
Re: High I/O writes activity on disks causing images on browser to lag and not load  ("BRUSSER Michael" <Michael.BRUSSER@3ds.com>)
Список pgsql-general

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 10:59 PM, Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> wrote:

> Hmm, I just noticed the same write behavior on my Windows Xp laptop but the
> values was a little less.
> I even created an DB with one table and column and this still happened
> when querying it.

By "created", you mean you created a table and populated it with data?
Once you do that, do a "SELECT count(*)" on that table, then wait for
the I/O to calm down.  That select statement will force all the hint
bits to be updated.  See if subsequent selects still cause disk
activity.

No, I created a new DB, created a table, and did not even populate any data.
Running select count(*) from test
just now, still caused the 10-20 I/O-writes.

> Are you sure that moving to Linux will solve this?

I never advocated that Linux would fix this, and I still don't.  I
recommended a short list of methods to investigate the issue, most of
which you ignored.  You _still_ don't know what's being written, and
I _highly_ recommend that you isolate that before doing something
radical like switching operating systems.

I didn't ignore all of them.
When it comes to the logging I am still not sure. What file should I be looking at ? The standard log file currently has 5 lines in it, and its only errors.
When it comes to things set as wrong, it might be true. However, on the laptop I've only installed and ran Tuning Wizard and haven't touched it afterwards.

No, I still don't know whats being written. I have tried to isolate it, and checked several folders, but can't find the path.

The statement i made earlier about how there was no reads was false. There is reads and they are done mostly by another thread. I was checking the same process at that time. However, the combined sum of I/O shows that there are more writes than reads with postgresql. Currently on the server by 2.25

If you've got the DB configured in such a way that it's causing a lot of
write ops, it's going to do it in Linux or any other Posix systems, or
on CP/M for that matter.

Posix systems have a laundry list of tools to identify what programs are
doing.  It's been a while since I've worked with Windows, but I seem to
remember MS having tools to audit disk activity.  Turn them on and see
which files are actually being written to.

I will try to find such a tool.

> Could you please check if
> you notice the same write behavior?

My BSD-based systems to no do this.  Doing a select count(*) on a table
with 750,000 rows produces no write activity.

Thats good to know.

Grzegorz, i have considered the hosting solutions. Problem is money. I am still a student. I might take you up on the other offer though :)

Scott, how much would such a controller cost me?

Tim, yes, I am using the tool "ProcessExplorer" from the windows site. It shows all the activity but can't see to where those writes are being done with that tool. Any ideas?

Thanks all, appreciate all your help and effort.

Sincerely / Jennifer