Re: High I/O writes activity on disks causing images on browser to lag and not load

От Jennifer Trey
Тема Re: High I/O writes activity on disks causing images on browser to lag and not load
Дата
Re: High I/O writes activity on disks causing images on browser to lag and not load  (Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>)
Список pgsql-general

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 5:13 PM, Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> wrote:

> I have finally found out why I have had images that lag on the website. It
> seems to be that postgre is doing allot of I/O activity and the images is
> somehow suffering because of this.
> The strange part about this is that it seems to be allot more disk writes
> than disk reads. Even though 99.9% of my application traffic is DB read.
> Looking up in tables and presenting.
> Why is postgre doing all this writing? Should it not be I/O reads?

Possible causes:
* Table reads sometimes result in the updating of hint-bits, which equate
 to disk writes.  This should not happen often, however, and not continually.
 http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Hint_Bits
Ok. But as you say those should not happen so often and the size is not that great. The combined write size is 3,254,048,805 bytes which is around 3GB ..

* If you are doing complex queries with sorting and don't have enough RAM,
 PostgreSQL will have to create temporary files.  See the config variable
 log_temp_files:
 http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/runtime-config-logging.html
I have enough RAM :)
Java has been awarded 3GB and postgreSQL (Just went to see the value and somehow it was set to 438MB! what!?... just changed it to 2800MB.. could this be the reason??? 438 should be enough though.. (it was an error) I have not that many tuples..)

* You have other logging settings set too high and PostgreSQL is tying
 up disk I/O writing log data.
Doesn't seem to be it.. just just checked a couple of things..

* Your application is more write-intensive than you realize.

> I would now like to move the DB activity to another disk if possible?

That's only going to help if the machine has enough I/O capability to
process both disks.  Adding more RAM might be a better (and cheaper)
solution.
Enough I/O capability? Not sure what you mean... how can I find out?

> Would
> I have to re-install PostgreSQL from scratch?

No.  You can just pick up the data directory and relocate it, then config
PostgreSQL to look for the data directory in the new location, or create
a symlink.
Yes.. I would like to try that(question is how I can do that, without stupid Windows changes permission on my files!) if it turns out that it wasn't the effective cache.. (good that I noticed at least :) )

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com