Re: High I/O writes activity on disks causing images on browser to lag and not load

От Bill Moran
Тема Re: High I/O writes activity on disks causing images on browser to lag and not load
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> > * If you are doing complex queries with sorting and don't have enough RAM,
> >  PostgreSQL will have to create temporary files.  See the config variable
> >  log_temp_files:
> >  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/runtime-config-logging.html
>
> I have enough RAM :)
> Java has been awarded 3GB and postgreSQL (Just went to see the value and
> somehow it was set to 438MB! what!?... just changed it to 2800MB.. could
> this be the reason??? 438 should be enough though.. (it was an error) I have
> not that many tuples..)

There are multiple values for configuring Postgres' memory usage.  If you're
twiddling the wrong one, it won't help.  effective_cache_size is one of
the least important, in my experience.

Memory tuning on Windows is quite different than on POSIX systems, so I
can't directly advise you there.

And I laughed when you asserted "I have enough RAM" ... If I had a dollar
for everyone who said something like that and was wrong, I'd buy an island
in the Pacific ...

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com