Now I am back, next thing. Final PGS tuning.

От Jennifer Trey
Тема Now I am back, next thing. Final PGS tuning.
Дата
Re: Now I am back, next thing. Final PGS tuning.  (Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-general

Ok,

I have left the previous thread. After changing the last permissions, even though it said Access Denied, suddenly PostgreSQL started to work again. I will not dig any further to the strangeness.

I copied the content of the.conf from tuning wizard and restarted. Still working!

I want to say thanks to several people on that thread :) Thank you!

I would like to further tune the tuning wizards recommendations though. I think it put itself on the lower scale.

I have 8GB memory, Intel Quad Core 2.4Ghz with 8MB L2 cache. I am running Windows Web Server 2008 x64 and will be running a Java (64 bit version) application.

I want to give the java app room for working on 2-3GB. The operating system is currently consuming around 1GB but lets give it a little more room. Lets give it a total of 2GB.

That leaves 8-3-2 = 3 GB for PostgreSQL alone. Sounds good?

Here is my config file :

http://85.235.31.35/resources/postgresql.conf

I see there is a setting

max_connections = 100

What does this do? Should I be looking at this as max similtaneous queries ? is 100 really enough? I think I want to max this more.

I am looking for a worst scenario around like 50-100 similitaneous user clicks (per second?). But the querying might be around like 200 queries per seocond, not really, but I want to be prepared. :)

I would appreciate if could have a discussion on these topics. On whats important and whats not.

Here is some other settings I am thinking about :

effective_cache_size = 449697

is this kilo bytes ? Is this a good value?

maintenance_work_mem = 16384

work_mem = 1024  # I think this is kb. Way to low, right? What is a better value?

shared_buffers = 1024 # min 128kB or max_connections*16kB  ## Also to low. Right? I've got 3GB to work with!

wal_buffers = 256 # Also kB...

Please give your thoughts. I was also wondering about the Vacuum, force reindex and stuff. Are those things good to run once in a while? Force sounds a little brutal though!

Something else I should consider?

/ Jennifer