RE: new maintainer for the ODBC driver?

От Dave Page
Тема RE: new maintainer for the ODBC driver?
Дата
Список pgsql-interfaces

(pgAdmin is written in VB) I certainly can help with testing. I could
obviously test with pgAdmin, but can also test other functions that pgAdmin
doesn't use - knocking up test apps in VB is generally very quick.

> IMHO, the ODBC driver at the current state is a great one, so
> it's worth
> to continue the work on it.

I agree. If anyone has ever messed around getting Merant/Data
Direct/Informix's drivers working with Informix they would agree whole
heartedly as well!! (in my opinion of course!)

That said, there are still things missing (don't ask me what, I haven't
looked into it yet). The biggest giveaway is when using ADO in VB - the
message 'Driver does not support requested properties' is not uncommon. This
does tend to be when messing around with the nut and bolts though, not in
general day to day use (fetching data, executing queries etc.). The
OpenSchema method of the ADODB.Connection object really shows this
problem....

> Have you got any statistics about
> the number
> of people using the driver at the moment? This year most of the mails
> on the INTERFACES list are about the JDBC driver. So,
> sometimes I don't
> think that the ODBC driver has any future. But now, maybe... :-)

I suspect it is more likely the case that the driver meets *most* people's
requirements in it's current form and is very stable. In the last 2 weeks,
pgAdmin v7.0.2 has been downloaded about 400 times from my site alone - if
you assume that only developers/admins use pgAdmin and that even in our 160
staff company that accounts for 2 of our 50 or so PostgreSQL/ODBC users,
then you are looking at huge numbers world wide... ;-)

Regards,
Dave.