Re: [GSoC] (Is it OK to choose items without % mark in theToDoList) && (is it an acceptable idea to build index on Flash Disk)

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [GSoC] (Is it OK to choose items without % mark in theToDoList) && (is it an acceptable idea to build index on Flash Disk)
Дата
Ответ на Re: [GSoC] (Is it OK to choose items without % mark in theToDoList) && (is it an acceptable idea to build index on Flash Disk)  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
Ответы Re: [GSoC] (Is it OK to choose items without % mark in theToDoList) && (is it an acceptable idea to build index on Flash Disk)  (mx <mx.cogito@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-hackers
> mx escribi�:
>> In my opinion,  we  have to change Access Method and some part of Storage
>> Managers greatly. Is it too hard for a beginner to serve as a GSoC project?

> It's like 3 orders of magnitude more work than I'd expect a Postgres
> newbie to be able to finish in a summer.

In fact, you'd be lucky if you could get the community to buy into the
idea at all over one summer.  "Maximize performance on flash" is not
even on the radar screen at this point, much less agreed to, and
certainly not agreed-to to the point of sacrificing any other value.

You might be able to get some localized changes applied, but any change
large enough to risk de-stabilization of the code, or cause
unpredictable performance loss for currently supported environments,
would probably be rejected out of hand.