Re: PQnotifies() in 7.3 broken?

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: PQnotifies() in 7.3 broken?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> Greg Copeland wrote:
>> Is it possible to automate this as part of the build
>> process so that they get grabbed from some version information during
>> the build?

> Version bump is one of the few things we do at the start of
> development.

The real problem here is that major version bump (signifying an
incompatible API change) is something that must NOT be done in an
automated, mindless-checklist way.  We should have executed the bump
when we agreed to change PQnotifies' API incompatibly.  We screwed up
on that.  I think it's correct to fix the error for 7.3.1 --- but we
cannot improve on the situation by making some procedural change to
"always do X at point Y in the release cycle".  Sometimes there's
no substitute for actual thinking :-(