Re: Postgres PHP error

От Shaun Clements
Тема Re: Postgres PHP error
Дата
Список pgsql-general

Thanks. Great idea.
I assume there is more than one connection per user.
As judging by the scope of the system, more than one connection is made.
Would you suggest I increase the size of the connections.
What kind of performance decrease would I see, even if 100 isnt always used.

Kind Regards,
Shaun Clements

-----Original Message-----
From: Richard Huxton [mailto:dev@archonet.com]
Sent: 23 May 2005 03:29 PM
To: Shaun Clements
Cc: 'pgsql-general@postgresql.org'
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] Postgres PHP error

Shaun Clements wrote:
> Hi All
>
> Im receiving the following error, on a php page, conneting to postgres
> 7.4, installed on Mandrake 10.0 <snip> Error Description:
> pg_connect(): Unable to connect to PostgreSQL server:
> FATAL: sorry, too many clients already .
> </snip>
> Can anyone tell me what this means?

It means exactly what it says - too many clients.

> Is there a performance setting I need to set under the postgresql conf file.
> I have checked, and its set to 100 users.
> This error strangely has only happened once. Last week Monday.

Well - you probably had 100 connections then (actually, 100 - your superuser reserved connections, default=2).

There are two possibilities:
  1. You had 100 users last Monday
  2. You are using more than one connection per user.

The second is the most likely. Turn connection logging on and try with a couple of users to see how many connections you generate as you use the site.

--
   Richard Huxton
   Archonet Ltd