Re: Howto: Using PITR recovery for standby replication

От Benjamin Krajmalnik
Тема Re: Howto: Using PITR recovery for standby replication
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Alvaro,

I am a newbie, so I essentially invoked pg_dump from with pgAdmin3, with the defaults (including large objects).
This is the command being issued:

.C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.1\bin\pg_dump.exe -i -h 172.20.0.32 -p 5432 -U postgres -F c -b -v -f "C:\Documents and Settings\administrator.MS\testbk.backup" events

What I assumed was happening (and I may have very well been wrong) was that I was getting a consistent backup of the object at the time that it was processed, but not the database as a whole.

From: Alvaro Herrera [mailto:alvherre@commandprompt.com]
Sent: Thu 4/20/2006 10:02 PM
To: Benjamin Krajmalnik
Cc: Tom Lane; pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Howto: Using PITR recovery for standby replication

Benjamin Krajmalnik wrote:

> The particular table which was problematic (and for which I posted
> another message due to the unique constraint violation which I am
> seeing intermittently) is the one with the high insertion rate.  The
> sequence is currently being used to facilitate purginf of old records.

How are you creating the dumps of the sequence and the table?  If you do
both separately (as in two pg_dump invocations with a -t switch each),
that could explain your problem.  This shouldn't really happen however,
because the sequence dump should be emitted in a dump of the table, if
the field is really of SERIAL or BIGSERIAL type.  However I don't see
any other way which would make the sequence go out of sync.

--
Alvaro Herrera                                http://www.CommandPrompt.com/