New system recommendations

От Benjamin Krajmalnik
Тема New system recommendations
Дата
Re: New system recommendations  (William Yu <wyu@talisys.com>)
Re: New system recommendations  (Robin Iddon <robin@edesix.com>)
Re: New system recommendations  (Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com>)
Список pgsql-admin

I am about to take a system from testing into production.

The system is a combination oltp/bi (network monitoring platform).

We are currently inserting about 1 million rows per day, and will increase to probably 5 million once it goes into full deployment.

The current test production server is running Windows Server 2003, PostgreSQL 8.1.3.

Record insertion is done via an ODBC call to a stored procedure from a Windows based host monitor.

In addition to PostgreSQL, the server also runs Apache/PHP for the GUI which displays our dashboards with the querying and drill-down front end..

It is currently running on a 3GHz Xeon HT, 2GB RAM, dual 72GB disks running RAID 1.  This server is a 1U without only 2 drive bays, so I have a potential issue with drive space.

As a result, I will be moving the db server to a Dell 1650 with 3 146GB SCSI drives running RAID 0.  System is a dual processor, 1.2GHz, with 4GB RAM.

Due to the amount of record insertions being performed, record insertion speed is paramount – also because excessive execution time will have a side effect of causing the monitoring agent to go stale.  Some of the users have mentioned that I will get better performance running under a *nix OS.  We are mostly a Microsoft OS house, but also run FreeBSD.  I am considering deploying with FreeBSD 6.0.  I was wondering if anyone has benchmarks showing speed of execution of PostgreSQL 8.1.3 under Win2003 and FreeBSD 6.0.  Also, are there any caveats or items I should be aware of if running under FreeBSD?  Any issues when running under a multi-processor kernel?  Anything in specific which I should include in the kernel build to give me optimum performance for running PostgreSQL?

Needless to say, I am a bit nervous of moving to FreeBSD since I have not tested it in a production environment.

Any advice will be deeply appreciated.

Regards,

Benjamin