Re: comments in argument list of plpgsql get stripped?

От Ralph Graulich
Тема Re: comments in argument list of plpgsql get stripped?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi Adrian,

>> II) Having PostgreSQL issuing a NOTICE that "comments get stripped" if you
>> use comments somewhere where PostgreSQL accepts them, but discards them
>> silently?
>
> I think that is covered by this:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/interactive/sql-syntax-lexical.html#SQL-SYNTAX-COMMENTS
> "A comment is removed from the input stream before further syntax analysis and is effectively replaced by
whitespace."

Now that you mention it and I read that paragraph, it is obvious. I was far too focused on the chapters on COMMENT ON
andCREATE FUNCTION, so I didn't think about the possibility that there might be a paragraph on in-line comments, too
---as the syntax is well-known and so to say standard to nearly everyone who writes code, so it comes automagically
withouthaving to think about it (or read...). So it was clearly my fault.

Best regards,
  Ralph