Re: [GENERAL] Python versus Other Languages using PostgreSQL

От Dick Kniep
Тема Re: [GENERAL] Python versus Other Languages using PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
As a long time user of the combination, Postgresql, Python, Django,
Flask etc. here are my 2 cents:

The frameworks of python; Django (enormous) or Flask (smaller) and there
are more, are of superb quality, battle hardened and are used in many
many companies and high volume sites around the world. The rigid
implementation of the mvc concept makes for readable, maintainable code.
This is far far more important than execution speed, because:

- most modern application use databases where the IO time is always much
much more important than the speed of processing.

- The power (enormous) of the current hardware is such that extra cycles
do not cost much

- Price (virtually nothing) of the current hardware allows for swift
adding of extra hardware if necessary

- Price of developers is very very high, so any gain in development
speed directly returns to the company as MUCH less expense

- The reliability of the Postgresql has always been a very strong point
(I myself use it since 2002 and have had hardly any problems with it)
even under bad circumstances. The loss of data because of a malfunction
of the database does simply not occur. This comes at a cost (raw speed),
but the cost of loosing data is much much higher than a little extra
hardware.

Cheers