Runtime error when calling function from .NET ( Function returns record)

От dparent
Тема Runtime error when calling function from .NET ( Function returns record)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I have a function which returns TYPE RECORD and receives a string. The passed
string is used to build a dynamic SQL statement and the passed string is the
SELECT LIST of the built dynamic SQL statement.

The call works fine from Postgres SQL (PL/PG SQL) but when I make the call
from .NET (Core labs data provider), I get a runtime error.

Any ideas on how to get this to work ? One solution we came up with is to
use a REFCURSOR or to return back a string to .NET and have .NET execute the
string (ie. select * from test2('feedid') as (name bigint);).

We were hoping for an easier &/or better solution.

Example function:
CREATE or REPLACE FUNCTION "public"."test2"(
IN "_sfieldlist" varchar)
RETURNS SETOF "pg_catalog"."record" AS
$BODY$
DECLARE
    v_feed           RECORD;
    v_sfieldlist     varchar(512);
BEGIN
    v_sfieldlist :=   _sfieldlist;

    FOR v_feed IN EXECUTE '
        SELECT '||v_sfieldlist||'
        FROM feed'
    LOOP
        RETURN NEXT v_feed;
    END LOOP;
    RETURN;
END;
$BODY$
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' IMMUTABLE SECURITY DEFINER;

This works just ducky from PL/PG SQL when I run a select something like the
following:
                  select * from test2('feedid') as (name bigint);

However, when I make a straight call to this function from .NET we get a
runtime error (similar to the error you would get if you ran the following:
select * from test2('feedid')).