Re: Is there a way to kill a connection from the pg_stat_activitly list?

От Moiz Kothari
Тема Re: Is there a way to kill a connection from the pg_stat_activitly list?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi,

Please do not use kill, it sometimes resets all the connection on your db, you might want to use

pkill -f <string in ps -ef> to kill the connection you want to.

Regards,
Moiz Kothari

On 10/16/07, Jonah H. Harris <jonah.harris@gmail.com> wrote:
On 10/16/07, Jessica Richard <rjessil@yahoo.com> wrote:
> select pg_cancel_backend(procpid) solved half of my problem...at least it
> terminated the query for that user... but it is still holding a user
> connection in IDLE state....If I have too many of those, Postgres may run of
> out of user connections....
>
> I already knew how to kill a connection if the connection is from the local
> host. But I have many remote connections coming from different machines...
> hard to kill with unix command "kill"...  One time, I was testing to kill a
> particular connection on a testing machine, the entrie Postgres was brought
> down....

That's why I said to write a C stored procedure to do it and install
it on the server.  That way you could call it the same way as
pg_cancel_backend.

> I need to find a safer, cleaner way to disconnect a user from Postgres when
> needed.

At this point in time, there isn't one.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Sr. Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation                | fax: 732.331.1301

Hobby Site : http://dailyhealthtips.blogspot.com