Re: STDERR vs. SYSLOG logging

От Spiegelberg, Greg
Тема Re: STDERR vs. SYSLOG logging
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Kevin Kempter sayeth...

> Hi List;
>
> Anyone have any thoughts per which logging method (SYSLOG vs
> STDERR) is the
> better approach ?

From looking at 8.2.1 source the internal postgres stderr redirect
method only does line buffering which explains why we see a performance
gain when we turn logging off or have it use syslog instead.

Syslog with the '-' option in front of the log file in syslog.conf is a
good option.  As I understand it, ulog is also a good option but I
haven't any experience with it.

Logging when the individual log entry is buffered does present a risk of
losing a log entry on a system crash but for the purposes of Postgres I
would think that such a system crash would have been caused by something
external to Postgres and the loss of any logs in this case is okay.

Greg