Re: global variable problem

От Miguel Carvalho
Тема Re: global variable problem
Дата
Список pgsql-php
> On 22 Apr 2002 at 15:47, Miguel Carvalho wrote:
>>

>> > what am i doing wrong? how do i make $conn visible in listing()? TIA
>> > for any pointers / help!
>>
>> The problem is when the script ends the connection to the database is
>> lost( this is normal ).
>> To avoid this, you have to establish a connection on each php script
>> that needs to use the database.
>> Dont try to keep the connection as a session variable....it doesnt
>> work.
>
> hello Miguel,
>
> i used a sample script as an example to build this code. in the
> example, in every function a new connection is made (like you suggest).

>  i tried to avoid this, i guessed it would be a lot of extra overhead.

You are right about the overhead.

> besides, my db requires a password so i would have to store it
> somewhere in a variable, which seems a bit of a security risk.

Where are you going to store the login and database password?
I suggest you to store the login and password in a session variable ( take
a lookt at session_register ). I think that is the best way to do it.

> i will try this approach anyway, but i still have a few questions
>

> -    when does a script end? at the end of the .PHP file? after a call is
>  made to another .PHP file?

The script ends when the .php file reach it's end( when there is noting
more to parse/ and or execute ).

> -    why is the variable $conn visible in start(), but not in listing()?

If you want to have access to a global var. inside of a function, you must
say that the global var. is global.
Ex:
  global $name;

  print "The name is: $name";

  function display()
  {

      global $name; //if you ommit this line, php think's that $name is a
local variable
      print "The name is: $name";
  }

> - shouldn't a _P_connect create a persistent connection?

Possibly it would be a good solution...but there may be some problems, like:

doing a roolback in this connection, doest it will roolback all scripts?

I dont know the answer. If any one know's, please let us know.

> sorry if this is all very basic, i'm a complete PHP newbie :)

Some time ago a was a newbie to :)

Regards
Miguel Carvalho

В списке pgsql-php по дате отправления: