Re: Typo in "43.9.1. Reporting Errors and Messages"?

От Alexander Lakhin
Тема Re: Typo in "43.9.1. Reporting Errors and Messages"?
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
Hi Bruce,

31.10.2023 17:52, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>> It is referring to the internal constant (see src/backend/utils/errcodes.h). It
>> was like you are proposing and it was changed in
>> 66bde49d96a9ddacc49dcbdf1b47b5bd6e31ead5. Reading the original thread, there is
>> no explanation why it was changed. Refer to internal names is not good for a
>> user-oriented text. I think it would be better to use the condition name (in
>> lowercase) like it is referred to in [1]. I mean, change
>> ERRCODE_RAISE_EXCEPTION to raise_exception.
>>
>> [1] https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/errcodes-appendix.html
> Alexander, Michael, can you explain why this commit removed ERRCODE_:
>
>     commit 66bde49d96

I don't remember details, but I think the primary reason for the change
was that "RAISE_EXCEPTION" occurred in the whole tree only once (before
66bde49d96). Now I see, that I had chosen the wrong replacement — I agree
with Euler, change to "raise_exception" would be more appropriate.

(I've found a similar mention of ERRCODE_xxx in btree.sgml:
   Before doing so, the function should check the sign
   of <replaceable>offset</replaceable>: if it is less than zero, raise
   error <literal>ERRCODE_INVALID_PRECEDING_OR_FOLLOWING_SIZE</literal> (22013)
   with error text like <quote>invalid preceding or following size in window
   function</quote>.
but I think that's okay here, because that identifier supposed to be used
as-is in ereport/elog.)

Best regards,
Alexander