Re: Debian : No echo after pg_dump | psql

От Moreno Andreo
Тема Re: Debian : No echo after pg_dump | psql
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Adrian, Andrew, thanks and apologies for the late reply

Il 30/11/2018 05:08, Andrew Gierth ha scritto:
>   Moreno> The command I'm using is
>   Moreno> root@xxxxx:~# pg_dump -v -C -h <remote host> -p 6543 -U postgres
>   Moreno> <dbname> | psql -h localhost -p 6543 -U postgres <dbname>
>   Moreno> It presents a double password prompt after I run it:
>   Moreno> Password: Password for user postgres:
>
> This is going to prompt once for the remote host's password and twice
> for the local one (because -C), and the concurrently-running commands
> are going to be fighting over access to the terminal to do it. Best
> avoided by using pgpass or non-password-based auth methods.
>
> More seriously, you're misunderstanding how -C works. When you use -C,
> the database you specify to psql (or pg_restore) is NOT the database
> you're restoring into - the restored db will ALWAYS have the same name
> as it had when dumped (if that's not what you want then don't use -C).
> Instead, the database you specify to psql or pg_restore is the database
> to connect to to issue the CREATE DATABASE command, which should usually
> be 'postgres'. That explains this bit:
>
>   Moreno> If I create database (just database, not schema) on target
>   Moreno> machine, I receive the error "database xxxx already exists" but
>   Moreno> the dump goes on If I don't create it, I receive the error
>   Moreno> "database xxxx does not exist" and processing aborts.

I removed -C usage since the target database (the database itself, not
the schema) is created with a CREATE DATABASE before issuing pg_dump (so
I don't need it), but strange prompt behavior remained the same

I'm having a really hard time these days, so I can't investigate
further. Maybe on holidays, when I hope the pressure will be released a
bit.

Will report as soon as I can.

THanks again

Cheers,

Moreno.-

От: Karsten Hilbert
Сообщение: Re: Does PostgreSQL use atomic file creation of FS?
От: Dmitry Lazurkin
Сообщение: Re: Does PostgreSQL use atomic file creation of FS?