Re: pg_dump formatting

От Caleb Cushing
Тема Re: pg_dump formatting
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 10:31 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> No, but there are database comparison tools to do that, pgdiff being one
> of them:

after reading a bit on it (docs seem a bit light but I also looked at
the mysql one), I don't think it solves my problem at all. it solves a
similar one. the way it reads suggests I have access to both
databases, I don't. I only have access to 1 (set up on my box from the
dump) and the dump from the other.

at work we dump our databases and add them to the git repository. and
pass the source back and forth, (I think it's a bit inefficient, but
I'm not the boss).

the problem is 2 fold, 1 it's impossible to get a human readable dump
diff, 2 the same reason is going to 'cause the git repository to get
large than it should because it stores blobs and these long lines
would each end up as a blob even though the character difference might
be like 1 character.

I suppose I could write a regex script that reformats the dump,
personally that scares me a bit.

it'd be great if pg could have the option to dump in a more 'diff-able' way.
--
Caleb Cushing

http://xenoterracide.blogspot.com