Re: [ADMIN] What does this error mean ?

От James Olin Oden
Тема Re: [ADMIN] What does this error mean ?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
> Hi
>
> during a vacuum i got this error :
>
> NOTICE:  BlowawayRelationBuffers(aluno, 119): block 221 is referenced (private
> 0, last 0, global 1)
> FATAL 1:  VACUUM (vc_rpfheap): BlowawayRelationBuffers returned -2
>
> what exactly does it mean ?

I searched through the source code and found the function you are speaking of and
here is the documentation before the BlowawayRelationBuffers() function:/*
---------------------------------------------------------------------wawayRelationBuffers

 *
 *              This function blowaway all the pages with blocknumber >= passed
 *              of a relation in the buffer pool. Used by vacuum before truncati
on...
 *
 *              Returns: 0 - Ok, -1 - DIRTY, -2 - PINNED
 *
 *              XXX currently it sequentially searches the buffer pool, should b
 *              changed to more clever ways of searching.
 */

Reading that, tells me that Vacuum called this function and it returned a -2
meaning "PINNED".  Now I am not sure what "PINNED" means, but I don't have time
write now to really look at the source code.  For your edification, though, the
source code file is:

   $PGSQLSRCROOT/src/backend/storage/buffer/bufmgr.c

If you look in this file you will find the source for the
BlowawayRelationBuffers() function, and can probably figure out whats going on
from there...james