Postgres on macOS 10

От Nick Renders
Тема Postgres on macOS 10
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

We just noticed something strange with our Postgres server.

We have Postgres 11 and 12 running on macOS 10.14 (Mojave), installed
with the EDB installer. Whenever the machine is restarted, the Postgres
service cannot be launched until a macOS user logs in. We have
"automatic login" turned off in the system preferences, meaning that
when the machine reboots, you get the macOS login screen.

In the system.log we see the following 2 lines over and over again,
until a user has logged in:

    Mar  3 09:37:19 postgrestest com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]
(com.edb.launchd.postgresql-12[319]): Service exited with abnormal code:
2
    Mar  3 09:37:19 postgrestest com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]
(com.edb.launchd.postgresql-12): Service only ran for 0 seconds. Pushing
respawn out by 10 seconds.

It doesn't matter which macOS user logs in, doesn't have to be an
Administrator. But once a user has logged in, the Postgres service is
finally launched properly. Afterwards, the macOS user can log out again,
and the service will continue running.

It doesn't seem to be limited to Mojave, either. I did a quick test on
our older, decommissioned Postgres server (Postgres 9 on macOS 10.12)
and the same issue seems to occur there.

Has anyone noticed something similar with macOS? Or is it just our
setup?

Best regards,

Nick Renders