Re: Slow adding Large Indexes

От Thorne, Francis
Тема Re: Slow adding Large Indexes
Список pgsql-admin

Fran

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]
Sent: 27 July 2009 15:00
To: Thorne, Francis
Cc: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] Slow adding Large Indexes

"Thorne, Francis" <thornef@cromwell.co.uk> writes:
> The problem I have is that it takes around 15 mins to insert the data
> into the table which is a massive improvement from the old server but
it
> then takes 40 mins to create two indexes one 1GB index and another
that
> is a 2GB index this is considerably slower than on the older server.

If these are indexes on textual data, maybe you accidentally changed
from C locale to some other locale.  All the other ones are slower to
compare text strings, sometimes massively so.

This email is intended for the named recipient. The information contained
in it is confidential.  You should not copy it for any purposes, nor
disclose its contents to any other party.  If you received this email
in error, please notify the sender immediately via email, and delete it from
your computer.

necessarily represent those of the company.

Cromwell Tools Limited, PO Box 14, 65 Chartwell Drive
Wigston, Leicester LE18 1AT. Tel 0116 2888000
Registered in England and Wales, Reg No 00986161
VAT GB 115 5713 87 900