Re: Postgresql performance and tuning questions

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Postgresql performance and tuning questions
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
lst_hoe01@kwsoft.de writes:
> Zitat von Scott Marlowe <smarlowe@g2switchworks.com>:
>> But you're not running the least buggy version of the 7.4 branch. The
>> 7.4 branch is up to 7.4.9.  If you are runing 7.4.2 then you haven't
>> installed all the updates supplied by Suse for their distribution (or
>> Suse backports bug fixes from 7.4.9 to 7.4.2, which I kinda doubt) which
>> means you likely haven't upgraded ANY of the packages that came with it,
>> which means your system, if it is put on the internet, will likely be
>> hacked within days, if not hours.

> SuSE always only do backports of fixes and never increase the version
> number. They only appended a self made "build" number which increases.
> So it is really possible that all the fixes are in while the version
> stays the same.

Considering that we only put bug fixes into stable branches, SuSE is not
doing anyone any favors by applying such a policy (if indeed that's what
they are doing).  They're just making more work for themselves, as well
as making it harder for users to tell what's fixed or not fixed.