postmaster restart on a different dataDir

От Medi Montaseri
Тема postmaster restart on a different dataDir
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi,

I am trying to measure startup time of postmaster. Say I have postmaster running on -D /tmp/d1 and would like to restart it on -D /tmp/d2.

If I just say
time pg_ctl restart -D /tmp/d2
it will not produce an accurate result because pg_ctl will start postmaster in the background and return immediately but if you query the engine right away, you'll see that it is not ready yet as in
time ( pg_ctl restart -D /tmp/d2 ; psql -l )

If I call postmaster, then the command is blocking waiting for postmaster to exit.
I am sure there is a way...but I figured I ask my good friends first...

Thanks
Medi