Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Дата
Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode  (David Steele <david@pgmasters.net>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 27/11/2018 15:45, Stephen Frost wrote:
>>> But backup scripts are not affected by the recovery.conf changes.
>> In any of my own backup scripts (yeah!), I don't have any dependency to
>> that either.  Or perhaps pgBackRest has a dependency in this area?
> If you don't consider your recovery scripts and your backup scripts to
> be related then I've really got to wonder how you're regularly testing
> your backups to make sure that they're actually valid.

The sort of installations that continue to use the exclusive backup mode
probably have the following tooling: a 20-line shell script to make the
backup and either a 10-line shell script or a similarly sized README or
wiki page to do the recovery.  Changing the latter for the recovery.conf
changes is probably a 3-line change.  Changing the former for the
removal of exclusive backups would require major changes.  (Try writing
a shell script that keeps a psql session open while it takes the backup
from the file system.  It's possible, but it requires significantly more
logic.)

Сообщение: Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Сообщение: Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode