Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode

От Stephen Frost
Тема Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

* Peter Eisentraut (peter.eisentraut@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> >> In any of my own backup scripts (yeah!), I don't have any dependency to
> >> that either.  Or perhaps pgBackRest has a dependency in this area?
> > If you don't consider your recovery scripts and your backup scripts to
> > be related then I've really got to wonder how you're regularly testing
> > your backups to make sure that they're actually valid.
>
> The sort of installations that continue to use the exclusive backup mode
> probably have the following tooling: a 20-line shell script to make the
> backup and either a 10-line shell script or a similarly sized README or
> wiki page to do the recovery.  Changing the latter for the recovery.conf
> changes is probably a 3-line change.  Changing the former for the
> removal of exclusive backups would require major changes.  (Try writing
> a shell script that keeps a psql session open while it takes the backup
> from the file system.  It's possible, but it requires significantly more
> logic.)

They're also the sort of installations which don't have reliable backups
and don't have any clue about the danger they are in due to the current
bug/issue/whatever we have with exclusive backups.

No, I don't agree that it's sensible to continue to march on as if
nothing is wrong.

Thanks!

Stephen

Вложения

Сообщение: Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Сообщение: Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode