Re: Using PGTune - is it a good source for system configuration?

От Laurenz Albe
Тема Re: Using PGTune - is it a good source for system configuration?
Дата
Список pgsql-novice
On Wed, 2021-09-01 at 17:19 +0100, Pól Ua Laoínecháin wrote:
> I used PGTune to obtain system configuration recommendations. I'm
> wondering if these can be taken as "gospel" or are there any caveats
> or "gotchas" to be aware of?

It is a serving suggestion and gives you food for thought.

It does not substitute thinking for yourself and reading the documentation
for those parameters.

> # DB Version: 13
> # OS Type: linux
> # DB Type: mixed
> # Total Memory (RAM): 32 GB
> # CPUs num: 2
> # Data Storage: ssd
>
> max_parallel_workers_per_gather = 1
> max_parallel_workers = 2
> max_parallel_maintenance_workers = 1

For example, I think these are not sane values for a mixed workload
with 2 CPU cores.

With that configuration, a single query could keep both cores busy.
I'd set all these to 0.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe