RE: [GENERAL] Re: QUERY - Including the new LDP PostgreSQL HOWTO in the main PostgreSQL distribution

От Michael Ansley (UK)
Тема RE: [GENERAL] Re: QUERY - Including the new LDP PostgreSQL HOWTO in the main PostgreSQL distribution
Дата
Список pgsql-docs

I've always found the HOWTOs useful to get something up and going for
the first time.  HOWTOs *don't* generally explain how or why things
work or don't work, and make various blanket assumptions about your
environment (although they will normally indicate those).  What they
do is get a particular package up and working for you.  A good
example is the Apache+SSL+FrontPage+SomethingElse HOWTO.  When I got
to the end of the HOWTO, I still didn't have much idea of how the
packages worked, but I had a working system that I could start trying
things out on.  And from there, I could start understanding the
system.  It's the first step in a long process, but that first step
is frequently the most frustrating (and where a lot of people stop),
and the HOWTOs are written to ease that first step.  So, yes it is
different from a FAQ.  I'm not sure if there is a section like this
in the existing docs, I'm not that familiar with them.  But anyway,
that's what I understand a HOWTO to be, and I've found them extremely
useful in the past.

Cheers...

This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged and/or copyright
material of Intec Telecom Systems PLC (or its affiliated companies). If you are not an
intended or authorised recipient of this e-mail or have received it in error, please delete
it immediately and notify the sender by e-mail. In such a case, reading, reproducing,
printing or further dissemination of this e-mail is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
Intec Telecom Systems PLC. does not represent or warrant that an attachment hereto is free
from computer viruses or other defects. The opinions expressed in this e-mail and any
attachments may be those of the author and are not necessarily those of Intec Telecom
Systems PLC.