RE: Unable to start PostgreSQL from user other than root

От Michael Ansley
Тема RE: Unable to start PostgreSQL from user other than root
Дата
Список pgsql-admin

>> Silky Mittal wrote:
>>   >Dear Sir,
>>   >      We are running Linux 6.2 on our machine.
>>
>> That is horribly old, full of bugs and sadly lacking in features.
I suspect that Silky meant RH 6.2, not PG 6.2.

>>   >      We are able to start postgresql on the root
>>   >giving the command /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start.
>>   >But if we login as our own created user we are unable
>>   >to start postgresql using the same command as above.It
>>   >says No such file or directory.Help will be
>>   >appreciated.
>>

>> The postmaster should normally be started by the postgres
>> administrator;
>> I suppose that the init.d script arranges this for you.  It
>> should not
>> be run by just any user.  If you must do this, you probably
>> need to add
>> something to the user's PATH or define some other
>> environment variable.
>>
>> If you want to find out more about what is happening, do
>>
>>   sh -x  /etc/rc.d/init.d/postgresql start
>>
>> which will trace each command in the script as it is executed.
Although the postgres user should be used to start the postmaster, the RH init script can only be called by root.  The script su's to postgres to start, though.

Unless Silky does not have access to root, or specifically requires dev access to start and stop postgres, I would suggest leaving it as it is, and getting postgres started on boot.

Cheers...

MikeA

Nick West - Global Infrastructure Manager.

www.mimesweeper.com