Plans for 8.2?

От Mikael Carneholm
Тема Plans for 8.2?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi,

I wonder what features other users would like to see in the next version? (8.2) The features I'd (very much) would like
tosee implemented are:

- "Top offender statistics"
In other DBMS:es there are functions that allow you to turn on a sort of monitoring that can tell you, for a period of
time:
1) which queries that generated the highest I/O
2) which queries that took the longest time to execute
3) percentage of total time spent on I/O wait, CPU time, etc

Statistics like these can be very helpful when it comes to identifying application bottlenecks / areas for
improvements.

- Materialized views
What's the status on the matview project?

- "Built in" failover/clustering
There are lots of projects supplying replication/failover/clustering functionality (Slony-I, pgcluster, pgpool etc),
butthese are "non-official" in that they do not provide out-of-the box functionality (ie not bundled with a default Pg
install)

- Analytic/window functions
In DBMS:es such as Oracle, there's rank(), dense_rank(), lag(), lead() etc. These functions may(?) be possible to
implementusing existing/new aggregates.

Comments?

/Mikael