Re: Plans for 8.2?

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Plans for 8.2?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Mikael Carneholm wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I wonder what features other users would like to see in the next version? (8.2) The features I'd (very much) would
liketo see implemented are:

>- "Top offender statistics"
>In other DBMS:es there are functions that allow you to turn on a sort of monitoring that can tell you, for a period of
time:
>1) which queries that generated the highest I/O
>2) which queries that took the longest time to execute
>3) percentage of total time spent on I/O wait, CPU time, etc
>
>Statistics like these can be very helpful when it comes to identifying application bottlenecks / areas for
improvements.

>- Materialized views
>What's the status on the matview project?
>
>- "Built in" failover/clustering
>There are lots of projects supplying replication/failover/clustering functionality (Slony-I, pgcluster, pgpool etc),
butthese are "non-official" in that they do not provide out-of-the box functionality (ie not bundled with a default Pg
install)

>- Analytic/window functions
>In DBMS:es such as Oracle, there's rank(), dense_rank(), lag(), lead() etc. These functions may(?) be possible to
implementusing existing/new aggregates.

>Comments?

You should probably review the archives on a lot of these topics. Many
of them have been discussed to death :).

In terms of statistics we do have statistics and exhaustive logging that
can provide you with all of that information. Is there something
specific that
the information already provided really doesn't give you?

Materialized views we have, in a sense but much like updateable views
you have to code for it.

"Built In" Failover/Clustering

This won't happen. The community stance, which is a good one is that no
single replication solutions fits everyone's needs and therefore we rely
out the outside
sources. Slony-I, Mammoth Replicator and pgpool being the most popular.

Analytic/window functions:

Get coding man! :) We would love to have them.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Co-Authors: PLphp, PLperl - http://www.commandprompt.com/