Re: uuid type for postgres

От Paul Ramsey
Тема Re: uuid type for postgres
Дата
Re: uuid type for postgres  (nathan wagner <nw@hydaspes.if.org>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Just an FYI:

We also ended up rolling our own uuid type, against libuuid.  It
seems that uuid is a widespread enough concept that implementors
*will* be asked to support it, moderately often.  We *could* roll our
own (were capable), others are not so lucky, and would have to point
out the lack of a uuid type as a limitation of pgsql.  Which is too
bad, given how relatively simple they are.

That said:

- linking against libuuid is fine for a contrib/ extension, but no
good for a built-in type.  A real uuid would have to do a proper
independent implementation of uuid creation within pgsql.
- we cannot snarf libuuid code, it is LGPL (though perhaps the author
would re-license. if that is the *only* objection, it is well worth
asking)

I think having a built-in uuid type is something that a large number
of people will use.  Whether they use it will or badly is not our
problem.  It is possible to build crappy databases with all the types
that already exist, adding uuid is hardly going to bring the walls
down.  Having uuid removes another excuse for people not doing a
pgsql implementation.

I am not sure if I heard clearly from the core team that a self-
contained, BSD-licensed uuid would be accepted(able)?  If so, I'll
contact the libuuid author about a re-license (shortest path from A
to B).

P.