Re: 4D Geometry

От Tim Allen
Тема Re: 4D Geometry
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Chris Traylor wrote:
>
>>>Configure options are generally a pain in the neck,
>>
>>Granted. Especially, if all the ifdefs start making the source hard
>>to read, but they are a viable compile-time way to allow the user to
>>make the decision for themselves.
>

> This missing piece of information here is that 98.6% of our users never
> compile the source code, so that decision will have to be made by the
> packager who will always use the option that is acceptable to the
> plurality of the users.  That is why we have removed most
> feature-related compile-time choices and are very hesitant to add new
> ones.

The other point to be made is that every such compile-time option
bifurcates the postgres universe into two mutually-incompatible
sections. The postgres community has enough of a challenge supporting
the one version of the database - there's no point in making things harder.

Tim

Tim Allen          tim@proximity.com.au
Proximity Pty Ltd  http://www.proximity.com.au/