Re: Online verification of checksums

От Michael Banck
Тема Re: Online verification of checksums
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Am Dienstag, den 20.10.2020, 18:11 +0900 schrieb Michael Paquier:
> On Mon, Apr 06, 2020 at 04:45:44PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Actually, after thinking about that a bit more: why is there an LSN-based
> > special condition at all?  It seems like it'd be far more useful to
> > checksum everything, and on failure try to re-read and re-verify the page
> > once or twice, so as to handle the corner case where we examine a page
> > that's in process of being overwritten.
>
> I was reviewing this area today, and that actually matches my
> impression.  Why do we need a LSN-based check at all?  As said
> upthread, that's of course weak with random data as we would miss most
> of the real checksum failures, with odds getting better depending on
> the current LSN of the cluster moving on.  However, it seems to me
> that we would have an extra advantage in removing this check
> all together: it would be possible to check for pages even if these
> are more recent than the start LSN of the backup, and that could be a
> lot of pages that could be checked on a large cluster.  So by keeping
> this check we also delay the detection of real problems.

The check was ported (or the concept of it adapted) from pgBackRest if I
remember correctly.

> As things stand, I'd like to think that it would be much more useful
> to remove this check and to have one or two extra retries (the current
> code only has one).  I don't like much the possibility of false
> positives for such critical checks, but as we need to live with what
> has been released, that looks like a good move for stable branches.

Sounds good to me. I think some were advocating for locking the page
before re-reading. When I looked at it, the level of abstraction that
pg_basebackup has (just a list of files chopped up into blocks, no
notion of relations I think) made that non-trivial, but maybe still
possible for v14 and beyond.

Michael

--
Michael Banck
Projektleiter / Senior Berater

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
USt-ID-Nummer: DE204566209
Trompeterallee 108, 41189 Mönchengladbach

Unser Umgang mit personenbezogenen Daten unterliegt
folgenden Bestimmungen: https://www.credativ.de/datenschutz