Re: [HACKERS] Checksums by default?

От Petr Jelinek
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Checksums by default?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 21/01/17 16:40, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Petr,
>
> * Petr Jelinek (petr.jelinek@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
>> On 21/01/17 11:39, Magnus Hagander wrote:
>>> Is it time to enable checksums by default, and give initdb a switch to
>>> turn it off instead?
>>
>> I'd like to see benchmark first, both in terms of CPU and in terms of
>> produced WAL (=network traffic) given that it turns on logging of hint bits.
>
> Benchmarking was done previously, but I don't think it's really all that
> relevant, we should be checksum'ing by default because we care about the
> data and it's hard to get checksums enabled on a running system.

I do think that performance implications are very relevant. And I
haven't seen any serious benchmark that would incorporate all current
differences between using and not using checksums.

The change of wal_level was supported by benchmark, I think it's
reasonable to ask for this to be as well.

Services