Postgresql 7.1 "No database files found"

От meaghana@magtech.com.au (Meaghan)
Тема Postgresql 7.1 "No database files found"
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hi,

We recently installed pgsql 7.1 on Mandrake 8.1, and did a pg_dumpall
to import our old pgsql 7.0.2 databases.

This morning, we tried to restart postgresql after a system crash, and
we find that we suddenly have an error starting postgresql with the
following message:

[root@ocean home]# /etc/init.d/postgresql start
Checking postgresql installation: no database files found.
                                                           [  OK  ]
Starting postgresql service:                               [FAILED]

The strange thing is, is that the database and postgresql/postmaster
etc has been running for a month with no problems.

By looking at the startup script, we noted that it needs a "template1"
directory, which we don't seem to have.  We restored an old backup of
the pgsql directory, and it doesn't seem to exist there either.  So
basically, we are not sure whether we have lost files in a system
crash, or something really weird is going on with postgresql.

After doing an initdb, we noticed that template1 directory was
actually renamed to  /var/lib/pgsql/data/1.  Do this simply mean that
the startup script is incorrect?

Does anyone have any suggestions?

TIA,

Meaghan