Re: data volume resizing and large objects

От beer@cmu.edu
Тема Re: data volume resizing and large objects
Дата
Re: data volume resizing and large objects  (Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com>)
Список pgsql-general
Tom

You hit the nail on the head actually! Further delving into the issue revealed that but I hadnt had a chance to post.

We recently used copy to put some lobs back into the database, about 70k of them.  All of these lobs were assigned sequential oids incremented by 1.  We then wrapped around and ended up in that block of oids again.

The irony of all of this is we have been trying to migrate to 8.1 for months now but have not been able to do so due to infrastructure issues beyond our control.

Is there anyway to force 8.0 to start at a specific value?  That would at least get us back up and running.

Thanks

-bill

On Jan 4, 2008 3:42 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
"beer@cmu.edu" <beer@cmu.edu> writes:
> lo_creat fails with:
>      ERROR: large object <oid> already exists

Well, does it?

What PG version is this?  I'm suspicious that it's pre-8.1 and the
problem is that your OID counter has wrapped around to a region that
is already pretty densely populated with large objects.   8.1 and up
are able to pick unused OIDs but earlier versions just fail on
collisions.