Re: Re: [GENERAL] Vacuum and Transactions

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Re: [GENERAL] Vacuum and Transactions
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> If it becomes non-intrusive, then why not have PostgreSQL run VACUUM
> automatically

That might happen eventually, but I'm not all that eager to convert
the postmaster into a (half-baked) substitute for cron.  My experience
as a dbadmin is that you need various sorts of routinely-run maintenance
tasks anyway; VACUUM is only one of them.  So you're gonna need some
cron tasks no matter what.  If we try to make the postmaster responsible
for this sort of thing, we're going to end up reimplementing cron.
I think that's a waste of effort.