Re: Stopping writes in master

От Rui DeSousa
Тема Re: Stopping writes in master
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
I can think of two other ways but the latter is more a pause than read-only. Neither are ideal solutions but hacks that may work depending on your needs.

1. If you’re restarting the server; then just make it a replia of nobody.
Con:
1. Requires database restart which could take a while depending on database activity
2. Truly is read only… i.e. no temp tables, etc.

 i.e. Create a recovery.conf and restart the server… the database is truly read only.

recovery.conf:

standby_mode = 'on'
primary_conninfo = ‘host=nowhere'

2. Without restarting server; enable synchronous replication to nowhere and reload config.
Cons:
1. More of a pause than read-only
2. Clients can still write changes but will hang on commit (causing applications to hang).
3. Ctrl-c on a hanged session will actually commit the record on the master (oops)

Pro or Con depending on your view:
1. When releasing the synchronous setup to nowhere; hung sessions will carry on with their commit.

postgres.conf:

synchronous_standby_names = ‘1 (nowhere)’

If you trust your clients; then setting the default transaction state and killing the sessions forcing a reconnect might be the best solution like has already been suggested; however, if you dealing with end users they can change their session transaction level back.