Re: using a postgres table as a multi-writer multi-updater queue

От Steve Petrie, P.Eng.
Тема Re: using a postgres table as a multi-writer multi-updater queue
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Thanks to George for the Thuderbird email client recommendation. My remarks
are below.

"George Neuner" <gneuner2@comcast.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 23:39:39 -0500, "Steve Petrie, P.Eng."
> <apetrie@aspetrie.net> wrote:
>
>>My stupid email client software (Microsoft Outlook Express on Win XP)
>>refuses to respect its own "Reply" option settings for inline reply text.
>>I've been looking for a replacement email client but so far without
>>success.)
>
> Without further comment about a 15 year old, unsupported OS ...

(Suddenly, my MS Outlook Express is letting me do inline comments.)

George, your self-restraint is admirable :) And my plan is to move from Win
XP to Linux in the (somewhat near) future.

Before I lose all credibility with this excellent forum -- be assured that
the PHP website app (not yet online) I'm migrating to postgres from mysql,
will ABSOLUTELY NOT be running in prodution under any kind of Microsoft
server software. Right now I'm planning to use as a server o/s, DragonFlyBSD
with its robust HAMMER filesystem.

> My vote for an email client would be Thunderbird.  It runs on XP or
> higher and you can import Outlook's PST files so as to keep your mail
> archives.  Importing PST files directly requires Outlook be available
> on the same system [there is also a less friendly way to do it via EML
> files exported from Outlook where Outlook is not on the same system].

It's a common misconception that MS Outlook Express is compatible with MS
Outlook. But in fact the two products are architecturally unrelated. Much
the same way that Java and Javascript are unrelated.

MS OE does not use .PST files, but there are open source utilities that will
extract the contents of MS OE mail folders for migration to alternate email
clients.

I am considering Thunderbird as an MS OE replacement, but my understanding
is that Mozilla has abandoned all but security-related support for
Thundebird. I have been kicking the (email client functionality) tires of
SeaMonkey under my Win XP. I believe that much of SeaMonkey is built on a
Mozilla code base.

> Hope this helps,
> George
>

> --