Re: using a postgres table as a multi-writer multi-updater queue

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: using a postgres table as a multi-writer multi-updater queue
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 11/29/2015 02:04 AM, Steve Petrie, P.Eng. wrote:
> Thanks to George for the Thuderbird email client recommendation. My remarks
> are below.
>
> "George Neuner" <gneuner2@comcast.net> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 25 Nov 2015 23:39:39 -0500, "Steve Petrie, P.Eng."
>> <apetrie@aspetrie.net> wrote:
>>
>>> My stupid email client software (Microsoft Outlook Express on Win XP)
>>> refuses to respect its own "Reply" option settings for inline reply
>>> text.
>>> I've been looking for a replacement email client but so far without
>>> success.)
>>
>> Without further comment about a 15 year old, unsupported OS ...
>>

> (Suddenly, my MS Outlook Express is letting me do inline comments.)
>
> George, your self-restraint is admirable :) And my plan is to move from Win
> XP to Linux in the (somewhat near) future.
>
> Before I lose all credibility with this excellent forum -- be assured that
> the PHP website app (not yet online) I'm migrating to postgres from mysql,
> will ABSOLUTELY NOT be running in prodution under any kind of Microsoft
> server software. Right now I'm planning to use as a server o/s,
> DragonFlyBSD
> with its robust HAMMER filesystem.
>

>> My vote for an email client would be Thunderbird.  It runs on XP or
>> higher and you can import Outlook's PST files so as to keep your mail
>> archives.  Importing PST files directly requires Outlook be available
>> on the same system [there is also a less friendly way to do it via EML
>> files exported from Outlook where Outlook is not on the same system].
>>

> It's a common misconception that MS Outlook Express is compatible with MS
> Outlook. But in fact the two products are architecturally unrelated. Much
> the same way that Java and Javascript are unrelated.
>
> MS OE does not use .PST files, but there are open source utilities that
> will
> extract the contents of MS OE mail folders for migration to alternate email
> clients.
>
> I am considering Thunderbird as an MS OE replacement, but my understanding
> is that Mozilla has abandoned all but security-related support for
> Thundebird. I have been kicking the (email client functionality) tires of
> SeaMonkey under my Win XP. I believe that much of SeaMonkey is built on a
> Mozilla code base.

My take is SeaMonkey is Thunderbird with a bunch of unneeded features. I
use Thunderbird on a variety of machines and it works just fine. To me
an email client is a solved problem and security fixes are all that are
required, still Mozilla is making changes. For the latest version 38:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/new-thunderbird-38