Re: Non-superuser subscription owners

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: Non-superuser subscription owners
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2021-11-17 at 15:07 -0800, Mark Dilger wrote:
> We only have 4 values left in the bitmask, and I doubt that burning
> those slots for multiple new types of rights that only have meaning
> for subscriptions is going to be accepted.  For full disclosure, I'm
> proposing adding ACL_SET and ACL_ALTER_SYSTEM in another patch and my
> proposal there could get shot down for the same reasons, but I think
> your argument would be even harder to defend.  Maybe others feel
> differently.

Why not overload ACL_USAGE again, and say:

    GRANT USAGE ON SUBSCRIPTION sub1 TO nonsuper;

would allow ENABLE/DISABLE and REFRESH.

Again, I don't really understand the use case behind "can use a
subscription but not create one", so I'm not making a proposal. But
assuming that the use case exists, GRANT seems like a much better
approach.

(Aside: for me to commit something like this I'd want to understand the
"can use a subscription but not create one" use case better.)

Regards,
    Jeff Davis