Re: COnsidering a move away from Postgres

От Bob
Тема Re: COnsidering a move away from Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
I have used PL/SQL for years. It's a great language that is easy to pick up and offers lots of ability/promise.  The syntax seems very easy for new people to pick up who might know another language or are just starting out.  Of course the same can be said of Ada code.  It's just very easy to read.

On 7/1/05, Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com <Richard_D_Levine@raytheon.com > wrote:
> Out of curiosity, what other backends do you consider and what is their
> syntax for such problems.

Most folks that use Oracle's PL/SQL like it.  I have a sneaking suspicion
Oracle used the GNAT parser for Ada as a starting point, but that is pure
conjecture.  Oracle does document that PL/SQL is Ada with SQL extensions.
An enterprising individual could get the source for GNAT from AdaCore (it's
GPL'd) and create a workalike language for PostgreSQL.  I'm not
enterprising.

Rick

pgsql-general-owner@postgresql.org wrote on 06/30/2005 04:03:49 PM:

> On 6/30/05, Jason Tesser <jtesser@nbbc.edu> wrote:
> > I work for a college and we use PG currently as our main backend.  We
are
> > currently developing with Java.  We are considering moving away
> from postgres
> > for the reasons I am going to list below.  I would appreciate some
thoughts
> > from the Postgres community on way we should or shouldn't leave
postgres.

> Out of curiosity, what other backends do you consider and what is their
> syntax for such problems.  Don't get me wrong, I don't intend to prove
> anything by asking so.  I am just curious what syntax would you prefer,
> or in other words, what syntax is most convenient for a person doing
> procedural language intense project.  Hopefully it will help PL/pgSQL
> develop in a best direction.
>
> So, please post samples of syntax (and a DB-name, I'm curious about
> other DBs syntaxes).
>
>    Regards,
>      Dawid

>     (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to majordomo@postgresql.org)