Re: getting count for a specific querry

От Bob Henkel
Тема Re: getting count for a specific querry
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
On Apr 8, 2005 2:23 PM, Joel Fradkin <jfradkin@wazagua.com> wrote:
Believe me I just spent two months converting our app, I do not wish to give
up on that work. We do a great deal more then count. Specifically many of
our queries run much slower on postgres. As mentioned I purchased a 4 proc
box with 8 gigs of memory for this upgrade (Dell may have been a poor choice
based on comments I have received). Even when I could see a query like
select * from tblassoc where clientnum = 'WAZ' using indexed joins on
location and jobtitle it is still taking 22 seconds to run compared to the 9
seconds on MSSQL on a 2 proc 2 gig box. I got one of my querries to run
faster using a page cost of .2 but then the assoc query was running 50
seconds, so I adjusted to a cost of 2 (tried 1.2, 2, 3, and 4 and did not
see hug changes in the assoc except it did not like .2).

I have placed a call to commandprompt.com and am going to pay for some
support to see if they have anything meaningful to add.

It could be something with my hardware, my hardware config, my postgres
config. I am just not sure. I know I have worked diligently to try to learn
all I can and I used to think I was kinda smart.

I set up the data on 4 10k scsi drives in a powervault and my wal on 2 15k
drives. I am using links to those from the install directory. It starts and
stops ok this way, but maybe it should be different.

I can tell you I am very happy to have this forum as I could not have gotten
to the point I am without the many usefull comments from folks on the list.
I greatly appreciate everyone who has helped. But truth is if I cant get to
work better then I have I may have to ditch the effort and bite the 70K
bullet. Its compounded by using 3 developers time for two months to yield an
answer that my boss may just fire me for. I figured since my first test
showed I could get data faster on the postgres box that I could with enough
study get all our data to go faster, but I am afraid I have not been very
successful.

My failure is not a reflection postgres as you mentioned it is definatley
great at some things. I have 90 some views not to mention as many stored
procedures that have been converted. I wrote an app to move the data and it
works great. But if it too slow I just will not be able to use for
production.

Joel

Judging postgresql on one single data point (count(*) performance) is
quite unfair.  Unless your system only operates on static data and is
used to mostly do things like counting, in which case, why are you using
a database?

PostgreSQL is a great fit for certain loads, and a poor fit for others.
Are you going to have lots of people updating the database WHILE the
select count(*) queries are running?  Are you going to be doing other,
more interesting things than simply counting?  If so, you really should
build a test case that emulates what you're really going to be doing
with the system.

I've found that the poor performance of aggregates in PostgreSQL is
generally more than made up for by the outstanding behaviour it exhibits
when under heavy parallel load.

Note that the basic design of PostgreSQL's MVCC system is such that
without using some kind of trigger to maintain pre-calculated aggregate
information, it will NEVER be as fast as most other databases at doing
aggregates across large chunks of your data.

     joining column's datatypes do not match

Have you posted your postgresql config files for the folks here to review? I can't say I can help you with that because I too can only read the docs and go from there. But for specific situations you need specific configs.  I would think you can get more out of postgresql with a some time and help from the people around here.  Though count(*) looks like it may be slow.

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

Сообщение: Re: getting count for a specific querry
Сообщение: Re: getting count for a specific querry